NEA Arts |The Art of Failure|


      NEA Arts' publication The Art of Failure is a creative look into the history of techniques and internal perceptions of artists and innovators whose success came with challenge. The artist who attempts to benefit their community through their effort shines through in each of these individuals featured. I found the insights exceptionally helpful, as they communicate to the human being inside each of us, prone to failure, ambitious for success. 

     Both authors Toni Morrison and Carlos Murillo speak of longevity, and the importance of maintaining self: the body and mind. They similarly work in literary and theatrical mediums: novels and scripts.  Both speak of the writing process as arduous, requiring energy, probably keeping them up late at night (or early in the morning) to accomplish work. 

    Similarly, dancer Sarah Kaufman speaks of dance criticism in the same way that Geoff Nuttall alludes to the grey areas of success in performing. It has an equal amount to do with overcoming fear, and a degree of focus onstage, and the inevitable fact that nothing can, will, or should be performed the same way twice. I often envision failure, but a sense of determinism always comes and blows it away.

     I resonated with the words of Perry Chen, who shifted from art form into social platform, yet still maintained creative energy to produce his own exhibits. He speaks of fear, the ego, and how we prevent ourselves often from taking leaps.  I acknowledge my own apprehensions when making art, and often contemplate the financial risk associated with it.

     When in the visioning stage of a painting, nothing is impossible, and I will go to any creative measure to try and produce an effect. I cannot firmly say I've been successful yet, but will not relent on my efforts. This type of confidence is hard to embrace, it often makes me seem intolerant to change, or unwilling to divert my focus, and sometimes interferes with professional or familiar obligations.  But when I'm given the opportunity to paint, the confidence becomes the catalyst for all of my actions.

    In terms of a "fear of failure", I found the words of Janai Brugger exceptionally helpful.  Instead of letting it paralyze her, a way of re-routing, or re-channeling her anxiety helped her move forward.  Letting herself cry or become upset creates a bigger barrier, so she's learned to make herself laugh.  As long as my students are giving a pure effort to their work, I will always encourage them to laugh at themselves. Some will require more growth than simply laughing, which is why I want to offer an equally therapeutic and challenging art class. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Word Clouds